Forget Pads vs. Tampons – Period Underwear Is The Answer To Your Prayers At That Time Of The Month
If you’re the owner of a uterus, chances are you’ve had to deal with the many frustrations that come with having your period every month. Whether it’s worrying that your bulky pad can be seen through your pants, concern over whether your tampon has been in too long (has it been three hours? Four?), or fear that everyone around you can smell you, periods are no walk in the park.
You’ve no doubt seen the latest innovation taking over the world of periods: period underwear. To first-time users of period underwear, bleeding directly into your undergarments might sound a little bit odd and daunting, but there are so many incredible benefits to period underwear, and so many more reasons to start cutting out the more traditional ways of dealing with your period!
The Cons of Tampons and Pads
If you’re anything like us, you’ve been using tampons and pads since you first started your period. With your monthly visitor came concerned sessions of Googling, “How to insert a tampon” and “Are tampons safe?” You were told horror stories about toxic shock syndrome and the dangers of leaving your tampon in for too long. Or maybe you went the pad route, and instead found yourself worrying about leakage or people seeing it through your clothes.
Let’s break down some of the cons of using tampons:
- The risk of toxic shock syndrome. Whilst rare these days, it remains to be the most dangerous complication of using tampons. Caused by infection from bacteria, toxins from these bacteria can compromise your organs and bodily tissue.
- Having to change a tampon every few hours. To avoid the risk of toxic shock syndrome, you need to change your tampon every few hours. Which can be incredibly annoying if you’re at work, school, or in the middle of something that makes it difficult to get to the bathroom – like sleeping.
- Not everybody can use tampons. Every vagina is different, meaning type and size can be tricky to figure out for first time users. Others may find tampons too uncomfortable to use at all, meaning they may be unable to do some of the things they usually do.
- They can be drying and irritating. Especially if you’re at the beginning or end of your period.
- They are not eco-friendly. Most tampons are made from polypropylene, a plastic that is not biodegradable. This means millions of tampons and accompanying packaging end up in landfill every year.
But what about pads?
- They restrict what you can do. Pads are bulky and can make it difficult to do some things, like going to the gym or swimming.
- Pads have to be changed frequently. This reduces the likelihood of bad odour and also prevents bacteria build-up, but is a pain if you can’t get to a bathroom
- There is leakage potential. Pads attach to your underwear, meaning they can move around, resulting in potential leakage and accidents – something no one wants to deal with on their period.
- They can be irritating. Contact dermatitis (or, “pad rash”) can be quite common during that time of the month, usually from various elements on the pad, such as chemicals, adhesive, or fragrance.
- Pads are not environmentally friendly. Like tampons, millions of pads end up in landfill every year, further contributing to the climate crisis our world is experiencing.
Enter Our Saviour: Period Underwear
The above information may be a little unnerving, especially if you’ve been using pads and tampons for a long time. Or you may have already known all of this but been unaware of any alternatives.
Period underwear has been gaining a lot of popularity over the past few years, and it’s easy to see why. They have a ton of incredible benefits and make that time of the month so much easier.
- They’re thinner than pads, meaning you won’t have that bulky, nappy-like feeling.
- They’re perfect for the lead-up and end to your period. Realistically, it’s hard to predict the start of your period with absolute accuracy. That’s where period underwear comes in. You no longer have to worry about your period sneaking up on you, or returning for one more hoorah at the very end (why does it have to do that?!).
- They’re a lifesaver at night. Anyone else sleep like a stiff plank on your period because you’re worried any movement will result in mass bed sheet carnage? Period underwear takes the stress out of sleeping because there’s pretty much zero risk of leakage. Our period underwear can hold up to four tampons-worth of liquid, meaning you get sweet dreams all night long.
- They’re great for more than periods. Period underwear can be used at any point of your cycle, including those times when discharge is happening and you don’t want to have to wear a liner. They’re also fantastic for postpartum use and any incontinence issues you may have. Or long bike rides to help you with that arse sweat in your sexy tight bike shorts!
- They’re sustainable (and money-saving)! Because they’re reusable, period underwear are saving our environment and our wallets. Let’s face it, the pink tax is real, and it’s painful having to fork out cash every month on more products that are just going straight to landfill, and aren’t even good for your vagina anyway!
- Easy to clean. Simply rinse out and chuck in a wash bag in the washing machine on cold wash. Easy as that!
- Better for your vagina. No nasty chemicals to be seen and usually made from great eco-friendly materials, like bamboo and cotton for extra breathability.
- Great for school-aged children. Remember the old “Can you check the back of my dress/skirt/pants?” you’d ask your friends after every class? Period underwear is a great way to reduce that stress and allow kids to focus on school and not on potential accidents.
Have you made the switch to period underwear? What’s your favourite benefit of using period underwear? We’d love to hear from you in the comments!
If you’re interested in making the swap, you can check out our period underwear range here.