Savoury Vegetable Muffins
Cheesy, delicious and easy to make, savoury muffins are the solution to using up those veggies wilting away in your fridge at the end of the week, and save them from going into your bin.
You don’t have to be an expert baker to give these a go. It’s a fool-proof recipe; if anything putting in less effort only gives them more of a gourmet rustic look like those savoury muffins you see at every trendy café.
Read ahead for the recipe for this delicious way to reduce your weekly waste. Packed with veggie goodness, they make the perfect breakfast or snack on the go, or add them to your weekly lunches.
Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand and try out different combinations!
Some of My Humble Earth’s BEST Low-Waste Recipe Tips…
- Storing your cheese block in a beeswax food wrap will keep it fresher for much longer than storing in plastic wrap (and its reusable!).
- Keep all your vegetable scraps in silicone ziplock bags throughout the week until you’re ready to use them, and they’ll stay super fresh.
- This savoury muffin recipe also works well for using discounted vegetables, that should ideally be eaten as soon as possible. It works out to be cheaper for your wallet and saves those veggies from being tossed away as food waste.
- Freeze your excess muffin batches in silicone ziplock bags, so you will always have some on hand and don’t have to throw any away!
Savoury Muffin Ingredients
For this recipe you will need…
- 2 cups of mixed vegetables, grated or finely chopped (e.g. zucchini, corn, carrot, spring onion, spinach, capsicum etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
Savoury Muffin Recipe – Method
- Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin pan*.
- Mix vegetables and 3/4 cup of cheese with the flour and baking powder.
- In a small jug whisk together the eggs, milk and olive oil, and add it to the flour mixture.
- Stir everything together until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin holes and sprinkle the tops with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes for full size muffins*.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Store leftovers in a container and cover with our reusable stretch lids to prolong freshness**.
*To make mini savoury muffins, you can use 2 x 12 hole mini muffin pans and reduce baking time to approx. 20 minutes.
**Muffins store up to 3 days at room temperature and one week in the fridge. Alternatively, freeze in our freezer-safe silicone ziplock bags for up to 3 months (just reheat in the microwave or oven and they’re ready to eat!)
Tag us @myhumbleearth so we can see your low waste cooking creations! What did you think of this recipe? Will you be trying it out?
Alex Wegner x
My Humble Earth